www.insidecompracing.com

Go Back   www.insidecompracing.com > Race Talk > Tech Questions

Navigation Menu

Old 11-04-2012, 12:30 PM
-.10 under member

Question Trick Titanium Bellhousing/Flywheel Problems

I just sent my 6.1 Trick Titanium bellhousing for recert. They have called and informed me that the new SFI rules change has mandated that they install an .078 liner that is flush with the engine mounting flange and as a result it will not accept a 168T flywheel. The new cans will be made to accept the 168T flywheel if I should want one and little do they know I would buy one from Brian Browell first anyway

I have two motors. My good motor has a 142T flywheel with a left side starter on a short deck block. No problem. However,I have an old motor I still use at times with an older bowtie block with a right side Tilton gear drive starter that uses the 168T flywheel.
Since it doesn't make any sense to buy a new bellhsg for this old motor is there anything else I can do within reason to still use my old stuff. I'm assuming you can't move a right side starter far enough inward to work with the 142T Flywheel

Thanks for any response to this issue...Jake Savani
Old 11-05-2012, 01:41 PM
-.70 under member

Cool

Will the belhousing with the new liner accept the 153T flywheel (still uses passenger side starter mount)?

And if so, why didn't Trick Titanium tell you this rather than try and sell you a new bellhousing?

Your current starter may have the dual bolt pattern (153T & 168T), then all you need is a new flywheel.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:18 PM
-.10 under member

Thanks for the reply Del and yes your right my starter has the 168T and 153T bolt pattern. However they want $1200 for a new flywheel.

I heard that a 166T flywheel (Pontiac) will work. Machine the 168T flywheel down to accept the 166T ring gear and the starter needs to move in and down a little with an adapter block. but I don't know how far down and in it needs to move.

Another solution a friend of mine called me on was an adapter someone made by the name of McClintock or something as such that mounts to the right side oil filter pad. The starter mounts to it and is adjustable to the smaller diameter flywheel.

Thanks for your help...Jake Savani
Old 11-06-2012, 09:54 AM
InsideCompRacing.com PRO

sent u a PM